My store got two books in today. Both survival guides. Both feature strong images on the front. Promising survival techniques for ‘boys only’ and ‘girls only’. Let’s look at the boys, shall we?
How to Survive Anything: Boys Only!
Featuring articles such as “How to Survive a Shark Attack”, “How to Survive if You’re in a Plane Crash”, “How to Survive a Flash Flood”, and many articles along that line. Some are silly, like surviving a t-rex attack, some are more helpful for a real life emergency, like a freak blizzard white out. Everything is action packed, life or death situations. High energy! Boys do dangerous things! Rawr! Go GO GO!
It’s mostly funny, but hey, some things, like surviving a snake bite might come in handy.
Now lets look at the girls, shall we?
How to Survive Anything: Girls Only!
Look at that girl on the cover! She is on the go! She is doing action packed stuff! She is rough and tumble! Let’s look at what she needs to learn to survive.
“How to Survive a BFF Fight”, “How to Take the Perfect School Photo”, “How to Handle Sudden Stardom”, “How to Turn a No into a Yes" (I guess I should be thankful that’s in the girls’ book, it’s just slightly less rapey if it were in the boys’ book). Of course there is such insight as "How to Survive a Crush" and "How to Survive a Fashion Disaster”.
Yes, just about everything in the girls’ book is about looking pretty, getting dates, looking pretty, looking pretty, and looking pretty.
The ONE and only ONE redeeming factor for the girls’ book was “How to Beat Bullies”. The advice there is pretty standard, but at least it is addressed.
The Lesson Here?
Boys are meant to have adventures, girls are meant to shut up and look pretty. The two shall never, ever meet.
Scholastic should hang their heads in some pretty weighty shame right now.
- hyberthedns likes this
- hyberthedns reblogged this from gildedillumination
- gildedillumination reblogged this from dnamy
- dnamy reblogged this from magicspellsinmoderntimes
- ontopofyou reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- i-put-the-aster-in-disaster likes this
- iseegodinbirds likes this
- et-moi-et-moi-et-moi likes this
- siriusly-uptonogood reblogged this from dangerousradicalpontmercy
- saint-rita reblogged this from leopoldgursky and added:
- fortheloveofmerlin likes this
- ravensflame reblogged this from quantumstarlight
- behindthehumanveil reblogged this from ussawesome
- wheretheoscarwildethingsare reblogged this from dangerousradicalpontmercy
- bananacupcakes reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- thepaintr likes this
- dangerousradicalpontmercy reblogged this from theselectedworksof
- theselectedworksof reblogged this from itsvondell
- consistentlyaverage reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- run-for-the-tardis reblogged this from uglyorangecouch
- aratal likes this
- luckychihuahua reblogged this from lexcanroar
- denimgenes likes this
- 2chainz2furious reblogged this from lexcanroar
- snakegrl1306 reblogged this from lexcanroar
- arielfabulous likes this
- butchdragon reblogged this from julieaoi and added:
- megasoft likes this
- asifandwhen reblogged this from laura-raptor
- nneann likes this
- kushbush reblogged this from marjchaos
- marjchaos reblogged this from radicalandskeptical and added:
- yellow-dress reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- in-flections likes this
- esacat reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- no-fandom-url reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- solitudeoffortress likes this
- lospaziobianco reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists and added:
- lospaziobianco likes this
- yourenotsylviaplath reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists and added:
- too-rude-for-school reblogged this from laura-raptor
- quidpluris reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- therockandtheroll likes this
- watchmenotgiveafuck reblogged this from inertiiaa
- holybikinisbatman reblogged this from fuckyeahfeminists
- daeneriss likes this
- mee-k reblogged this from bubonickitten and added:
- lickmycoffeecup reblogged this from superblys
- motnana reblogged this from laura-raptor and added: